Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The Off Season!

So as we start to wrap up pilot season and the theater auditions start to wind down, you look at your phone constantly and realize you have not booked the recurring role or that summer stock season....or like for myself some projects you weren't even called in for....I ask you.....

What do you do now?

Obviously getting yourself into a class is always good.  But yes.... yes it does cost money that you do not have.... so now what?

The periods of not working can be the most difficult times as an artist and not booking something does not mean you are not talented.  You and your talented artistic voice will be given a chance to be heard just not at this certain moment in time.  This is a very difficult thing for your psyche to accept.  As I had some drinks and dinner with some friends this past week, I was struck by this idea of non-work as an actor.  So many actors, even famous actors, go years without work.  After some reflection, I have realized your life cannot be the business otherwise you might go crazier than you already are.

I think it is healthy to so desperately work hard at something but when it becomes your entire life....I think then it might border on unhealthy obsession.  Therefore, think outside the box in order to discover other interests.

What sparks your interest other than your artistry?

In fact those interests won't take away from your artistry...they will enhance them.

Name three things right now that you love to do other than your main career goals:

For myself

1. Cooking
2. Writing
3.  Teaching

I might have wanted to throw in drinking a good beer but didn't want to give you the wrong impression. ;).
But those three things are great outlets that also enhance my work as an actor.  I am also an active runner, and I love a good card game.  Who knows when those skills will come in handy but they fulfill my life in a different way.  As an artist, I think it is important to live your life and develop your various interests.  It will keep you grounded and keep the momentum of creativity going when you need it most.

I know you have interests so go do them!

 Go volunteer at that animal shelter....go for that run....join that yoga class....learn how to play guitar.  Who knows what you might discover....

Discover in order to uncover a new key to success!

Cheers,

McGee




No comments:

Post a Comment